Tuesday 14 August 2007

50th Merdeka Series (2)

Well... a lot have been said about that boy who sang a rap song with some National anthem lyrics thrown into it. I have to admit I haven't yet seen the video so I can't comment much about it. What I can comment is about the reaction that people have on that action though.

It's funny that an action by a young man somewhere in taiwan can affect us like this in Malaysia. All because of a song. Granted that he added some part of the national anthem into his song. He was even reported to say some bad things about Islam and Malaysia (I can't verify this). And of course, the normal reaction to this by some part of Malaysian society is extremely predictable.

Accusations of being unpatriotic is the least of it. Some even brand him a traitor, there are even calls for him to be a "persona non grata".

For the part of being unpatriotic, first we have to try and define what is being patriotic in Malaysia all about. To be patriotic in Malaysia is simple enough, it's all got to do with the Malaysian flag. The bigger the flag the more patriotic we are. That is a simple enough equation. In this sense, I am not as patriotic as some of the people I saw that attached the flag on to the hood of his car. Kudos to that guy!. All I have is a small Malaysian flag on an atlas, the SAME size with all other flags of other nations!*GASP*. Worse still is that old guy in tattered clothings and worn out sandals that was rummaging through some garbage bin... I assume he don't have a flag and thus not patriotic.

For the guy with the flag on his hood of his car. At least the covered part will be cleaner and dust free compared to other part of the car.

So, what's your definitions of patriotism?

No comments: